Saturday, August 17, 2019

Color Throwdown #556

Back this week with a fun color scheme from Color Throwdown.



I have quite a few family members and friends with birthdays in September. With school starting back up and the boys all playing sports, I have been trying to get a jump on getting birthday cards made before life gets crazy busy again.


This one was a lot of fun, I always think shaker cards are fun, and it is a challenge to try to figure out a quick and easy way to create the shaker part. I am not sure I have ever created two shakers the same way. Maybe one day I will finally come up with a shaker formula I love. 

This card is bigger than what I usually make, measuring 5 x 61/2.  The blue background was created by ink smooshing a combination of Broken China and Salty Ocean Distress Inks. The happy birthday sentiment was stamped & embossed on the blue background, and I added the shaker part over the top of that. Today's shaker formula was a piece of black fun foam with Desert Storm kraft cardstock adhered to it. I ran that through my Big Shot using two stitched rectangle dies taped together to make a frame. Before adding a bunch of different sequins, seed beads, and gems to the shaker, I used my anti-static pouch to cut back on the static that sometimes occurs inside the shaker. I also adhered a few sequins around the sentiment, so that even if the recipient stands the card up, sequins will still be visible. I  then cut down a piece of clear acetate and adhered another kraft frame on top of that. Using Scor-tape on the back of the acetate, I closed up the shaker portion. 

The stamped pieces along the frame are from Tim Holtz and Altenew. I watercolored them using Distress Inks in Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, Tumbled Glass, Broken China, Gathered Twigs, and Walnut Stain. I always use multiple shades of the same color, and I also add additional layers of color, letting layers dry completely before starting a second layer. I think that multiple shades and multiple layers help add to the depth of the painted images. 

I finished the card with a hemp bow and more sequins. This birthday card is headed to one of my very best friends, who is a former scrapbooker and card maker. She will love it!



1 comment:

  1. so so pretty! I love shaker cards, too. this is great. beautiful background and colored image. thanks for playing along with CTD.

    ReplyDelete