Monday, July 8, 2019

Color Throwdown #550

This week's Color Throwdown is another lovely color scheme. I will say I worried going in that what I created would come off too Christmas-y or too Watermelon-y, but I ended up liking what I created.




I created two different floral cards using the color scheme as it was given and I also created three smaller "teacher" cards that pretty much stick to the color scheme, with a slight variation on one of them. I find that it is faster to make multiple cards within the same color scheme than to spend tons of time switching up colors.


For this card, I started with a white card base and splattered it with black paint. I then die cut three stitched frames and adhered them together using the Stitched Rectangle Die set from Simon Says Stamp. The floral images are Beautiful Flowers 2 from Simon Says Stamp as well. I stamped them onto Tim Holtz watercolor cardstock and then colored them with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Shabby Shutters, Mowed Lawn, Candied Apple, and Spun Sugar. I also used Prismacolor colored pencils to darken some of the areas on the flowers. I then fussy cut around all the watercolored floral images. 

The sentiment is from the Beautiful Day stamp set from Altenew. I stamped it in Versamark onto a scrap piece of black cardstock and then heat embossed it in white embossing powder. I adhered the sentiment onto the card base using foam adhesive tape. I built around the sentiment using the fussy cut floral images. To finish the card, I added sequins and gems from my stash.


For this second card, I wanted to use my Derwent Inktense Watercolor Pencils. They had been gathering dust in a drawer with some other crafting mediums & I tried to push my creativity a little. The stamped image is an older one from Hero Arts called Striped Flower (CG255). I stamped it repeatedly onto a piece of Tim Holtz watercolor card stock and then colored it with the Apple Green Inktense pencil and then used Tim Holtz's watercolor brush to spread the color. The red flower was watercolored using the same technique, but with a heavier hand and more of the Poppy Red Inktense pencil being used. Once dry, I went back over the image using red Prismacolor colored pencils to darken parts of the image. I also used Stickles to add sparkle to some of the red images in the center. The red image is popped up on foam tape. 

The sentiment came from the Beautiful Flowers 2 stamp set from Simon Says Stamp. It was stamped in Versamark ink and then white heat embossed onto a scrap of black cardstock.

The stamped and colored panel was matted on black card stock and then adhered to a premade white card base.  I finished it with a scattering of sequins from my stash & a few more drops of Stickles.



My three "teacher' cards came together pretty quickly because I had already adhered patterned paper from 6x6 paper pads to a set of white notecards I picked up in the Target dollar spot ages ago. 

All the sentiments are from the Thank You Teacher stamp set from Simon Says Stamp. The smaller apples are from a super old woodblock stamp set from Hero Arts called Four Apples (LP125). They were watercolored using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Candied Apple, Mowed Lawn and Shabby Shutters, once dry they each got a coating of Glossy Accents. The "Education is the Most..." sentiment was die cut using an ancient die set from Sizzix??, I don't have a link or even a name for that die set.  The other apple image is from the mini blueprints Schoolhouse stamp set from Tim Holtz and is colored the same as the other two. 

Thanks for stopping by. I am looking forward to next weeks Color Throwdown!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these for this week's Color Throwdown Challenge. They are all beautifully colored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards and am especially loving the first floral one! You rocked the throwdown colors! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CTD!

    ReplyDelete