Monday, July 8, 2019

Cocoa Daisy- Creating with Old Kits #2

Today I'm using an old kit, a new picture, and a sketch to create a 12x12 layout.

The sketch is from Cocoa Daisy's Memory Keeping FB page:

No photo description available.

The older CD kit is July 2011's, Urban Loft. It is one of my all time favorite kits. I ended up buying the kit, the Pencil Factory add-on kit, and a project kit from Ronda Palazzari that July. Then a few months later they had a box sale, and I picked up remnants of the kit in that sale. So much love for this kit and plenty left to play with!  

Image result for cocoa daisy july 2011 urban loft

Here is my take on the sketch using this amazing old kit:


When I opened the bag with this kit in it, tons of little scraps of patterned paper fell out. So glad I hoard even the smallest of pieces.



The yellow card stock was cut down to 11 1/2 x11 1/12 to accommodate the teal cardstock that it is matted on. I used an older The Crafter's Workshop 12x12 Sunburst stencil and Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Squeezed Lemonade, Mustard Seed, and Carved Pumpkin (TCW166) to create offset sunrays in the background. The splatters are from an old Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist. I loved this color! It is so old that the spray nozzle finally got too clogged to spray anymore, so I pushed the lid down on top of it and I now dip a paintbrush in to use the last little bits. 


I played with the scraps of patterned paper to create a pieced together background that I liked. I matted the photo of Jude on a larger scrap of patterned paper from the kit and then popped it up with foam tape on top of the patterned paper background. 

There was a small piece of lined pattern paper that was perfect for journaling, and those Sassafras Lass Sweet Treat stickers were great to: 
  1. hide a bright pink ball in the bottom right corner of the photo,
  2. house the layout title,
  3. take up space at the bottom of the journaling, and 
  4. add a third element that helped balance the layout.

The title was created using Sassafras Lass Slate colored cardstock alpha stickers from the kit, which was then coated with Glossy Accents. Sweet and Lovely was part of the original sticker. 

There were a few buttons in the kit, and I added a few from my own stash to them. I had to stitch them on because an unstitched button on a project weirds me out. It must be a pet peeve, and it's totally a weird thing I do. There is also a word element/button on the page as well, on top of the heart. That came from my stash as well and is super old. Maybe Little Davis Designs or Queen & Co.... so old, I'm not even sure where it came from. The yellow gems are brads from my stash also. 

I love how this layout turned out, and I loved playing with this older kit. 

I miss Sassafrass Lass, even though their pattern paper usually was bolder and louder than I typically use, I still loved adding an element here or there on a layout to add a little boldness or sense of whimsy. Plus their alpha's were amazing. 

I found a few elements in the kit I want to create a project with, including a half-finished mini album that I started foundation pages for years ago, a package of Pink Paislee Heidi Swapp bright yellow quarterfoil printed tissue paper (so amazing), and of course I need to finish the 10 Things mini album project from Ronda Palazzari.

Wishing you a productive and crafty afternoon. Go dig around and play with some old stuff!





No comments:

Post a Comment