Monday, November 26, 2012

Make it Monday- Using Cocoa Daisy Stamps

For this post I used the following Cocoa Daisy Stamps:


 

The first set is called Mod Leaves and the second set is called A Day in the Life: Months, Years, and Bits. Both are still available in the Cocoa Daisy Boutique. I also used another Cocoa Daisy stamp that is no longer available. I will point it out as we go through the steps of making the following tag:



Here is what the completed tag looks like. 

I love, love, love the versatility of stamps and the fact that I can reuse stamps over and over again. For this tag I used two of the Mod Leaves stamps to create this poinsettia. 



I began by stamping the veined leaf 10-12 separate times with the ColorBox pigment ink in Cranberry. Then I heat embossed the "petals" twice with Hero Arts clear embossing powder. The embossing powder is very fine, so I embossed twice to make the "petals" shine a bit more. I then cut the petals out. 


For the leaves, I wasn't sure if I wanted to ink in color and emboss with clear powder or if I wanted to ink in clear and emboss with colored powder. I also wasn't sure what color the Moss Green pigment ink was, so I tested it on the back of my green cardstock and also smudged it on a piece of white scrap cardstock. I do this often to decide if I like the color of an ink before I commit to using it on a project. If you were to pull out most of my layouts you would find ink test spots on the back of them. 


I still was unsure which technique to use, so I stamped a second leaf from the set and embossed it using both techniques onto a piece of green cardstock from my scrap bin. I finally decided I liked the color of the ColorBox Moss Green ink embossed with clear powder the best. So I cut those out to use with my tag.


I then punched a 2 1/2 inch scallop circle to use as the base for my poinsettia. 


I attached my petals using glue dots and overlapping each new petal slightly over the previous petal. This is the center part of the poinsettia. You can still see a small portion of the scalloped circle, that is where I added the second layer of petals and leaves.


Here is the completed poinsettia. It was rather flat once I attached everything, so I just used my fingers to crumple up each of the petals to give the whole thing a little more interest. I also added a very old Heidi Swapp bling piece as the center. I have the poinsettia laying on the tag so I could try to decide on the arrangement for the rest of the tag. 


I chose to cover the whole white tag with a scrap piece of Christmas paper from an older Making Memories line. This is the b side of one of those papers. I love b sides! On top I used a  I stamped an older Cocoa Daisy quaterfoil stamp on the tag with clear embossing ink, then I used clear embossing ink around the edges as well. I used gold glitter embossing powder from Stampendous that I picked up at my local scrapbook store last year. 


I cut up some more scraps from my stash and then placed the date stamps and a chipboard button from an older Making Memories Christmas line on the green cardstock. Here again I was trying to figure out placement for the finished tag. 


This is a close up of the bottom section of the tag. I stamped "December 2012" in the ColorBox Evergreen color and then attached the chipboard button with gold ribbon with glue dots. The "December 2012" seemed a little flat so I went back and used clear embossing powder on it. Then I added Gold Perfect Pearl splatters. The heat caused the gold ribbon to curl a little, but I'm okay with that. 


Here again is the finished tag. You can also see I added red splatters to the whole tag as well. For that I used  Maya Road's Cherry Metallic Mist. It is available in the Cocoa Daisy Boutique.

The Mod Leaves set is not one I would usually gravitate towards because it is more modern in design. But as you can see stamps can be used in many different ways to create projects that speak to whatever design style you prefer. I love how this tag turned out and I am sure it will either be displayed somewhere in our home during the holidays or possibly even be added to my December Daily album this year.

Come back tomorrow and see a vintage approach using the same techniques and stamps to create another tag. 

Until tomorrow...Happy Creating!

Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment