Sunday, August 2, 2020

Embossed Watercoloring

This week I began digging around through some of my older supplies, simply looking for something to create with & ended up pulling out some things I haven't used in a long time:

-An older embossing folder from Sizzix ( I think it came in a two-pack from Hobby Lobby)
-Twinkling H2O's Shimmering watercolor paints  (I bought these many years ago from a local shop)
-Two of my favorite pumpkin woodblock stamps from Hero Arts (old, old.....really old)
- A small scripty sentiment stamp from Ali Edwards (way back when she was making stamp set with Technique Tuesday)

I decided to try watercoloring the recessed portion of my embossed image with Twinkling H2O's in the color Copper Penny. It was definitely redder than I wanted since I was playing along with The Color Throwdown #604 color palette, but I decided it could be considered terra cotta, so I went with it. Here is the inspiration piece and my card is underneath.






I figured out that watercoloring the recessed part took much longer than expected and required a steady hand. I love white pumpkins in the fall, so I decided to make my pumpkins white, but I didn't want them to be stark white and blend into the white in the background. So I adhered some pages from an old dictionary to some white cardstock and then stamped and fussy cut the images. Because they now had a mixed media kind of feel, I splattered them in Perfect Pearl Mists in Sunflower Sparkle (brighter gold) &  Heirloom Gold (vintage, darker gold). I still have both of these as mists, but Ranger has discontinued making the mists. Once I run out I plan to buy the powders and mix them with water to replenish my mists (Probably using the same mist containers and mixing a full jar of powder and water to fill the jar). 

Once I layered the embossed piece on top of the black cardstock it felt unfinished and that it was lacking something. I decided to add gold embossing powder along the edges of the embossed piece to give it more definition. I love the way it turned out. 

The stamped pieces are sitting on a scrap of black cardstock with the gold embossed Ali Edwards sentiment. I wound some black thread around my fingers and then sandwiched it messily between the embossed piece and the pumpkins. Sequins are from an older Simon Says Stamp release. 

I had not played with some of those materials in years and I love that I was able to dust them off and make something that doesn't feel dated.

 Love how this turned out and how it pushed me creatively.



1 comment:

  1. I love the use of script paper for the pumpkins! They really pop against the bold embossed background! Thanks for joining us at CTD this week!

    ReplyDelete