Wednesday, December 4, 2019

December Daily- Day 3- All is Bright

The Lights on Moline Street is one of our very favorite places to visit during the holidays. We will drive through and enjoy all the lights multiple times before Christmas. It is so lovely to have such a festive place in our own community. 


 Tonight was our first time to drive through and see the lights. It was fun to see that they had added more lights this year (the lighted tunnel and more stars) and a nativity scene. As we left, I asked Ethan and Jude if they were curious about how and when the Lights on Moline started, because I sure was. When I got home, I did what any 21st-century researcher does and turned to the Internet. On Facebook, I asked Malvern natives, Ben Dial, Phyllis Dial, and Greg Hughes, if they could tell me more about the history of the lights. Very quickly, I had responses from all three with useful information and a handful of other people who knew the history. I even had a Facebook Message with a newspaper article link from 2012.

     

What I learned was that the Lights on Moline are put up each year by the Burns brothers. The lights started about 20 years ago as a way to lift the spirits of their mother when she was sick and confined to the house. She was able to see the lights from her window. The lights have continued every year since, and the display has gotten bigger each year. 

The Lights on Moline are such a special treasure. 



No comments:

Post a Comment